The European Maker Week is back!
Building on last year’s European Maker Week (EMW), this year’s movement will challenge all creative makers around EU to identify a need in their community, and build solutions for real problems.
The European Maker Week is an opportunity for citizens from communities throughout the EU to participate in local activities, celebrating the innovation, ingenuity and creativity of the Maker Movement.
EMW was created last year to encourage, promote and highlight organisations from around the EU who are working to create more opportunities for people of all ages to be makers.
Makers are building themselves keys for the future: developing new solutions and products for pressing challenges; engaging students in hands on interactive learning of STEM, arts, and design; and enabling individuals to learn new skills in fabrication and manufacturing.
EMW is also an opportunity to convene key stakeholders in each local community to discuss the role of the Maker Movement in areas such as education, entrepreneurship, workforce development, manufacturing, community revitalisation and community-based problem solving.
Getting different stakeholders together to talk about the Maker Movement will develop new collaborations, partnerships and initiatives that can help grow this ecosystem in each territory.
The European Maker Week is an initiative, promoted by the European Commission’s Startup Europe, organised under the high patronage of the European Parliament, and implemented by Maker Faire Rome.
SEE THE NEED, BUILD THE SOLUTION
EMW presents an opportunity to showcase what makers do best: making things. The goal of each community’s project is to encourage makers to identify a problem in their community and to build a solution
WHAT ARE THE EXPECTED OUTCOMES?
While the goal of the event is to start a dialogue, the expected outcomes of #EMW17 should stretch well beyond the specific day of each event. While each community will determine the exact outcome of its own EMW, the hope is that the whole Week will spur the development of partnerships and programs within the maker community in order to have lasting impacts on the different local towns and cities.
Here’s more info on how to organise an event
Some examples of outcomes of such events are:
- Increased support for local maker events by local government
- A manufacturing alliance between local makers and manufacturing organisations
- Academic partnerships between teachers and local makers
- A health making partnership between a local elder facility and a community makerspace
- A Chamber of Commerce featuring local makers, hackers, artists, and artisans.
- European Maker Week is also part of the initiatives for “Maker Faire Rome – The European Edition“ which will be held in Rome from the 1st to the 3rd of December, expecting 110,000 visitors and with over 400 exhibitors’ from all over Europe.
About European Maker Week
The European Maker Week (EMW) is an initiative promoted by European Commission and implemented by Maker Faire Rome in collaboration with Startup Europe. EMW was created last year to encourage, promote, and highlight organizations from around the UE who are working to create more opportunities for more people of all ages to make. Makers are developing new solutions and products for pressing challenges, engaging students in hands on, interactive learning of STEM, arts, and design, and enabling individuals to learn new skills in fabrication and manufacturing.
About Startup Europe
The Startup Europe Team works with entrepreneurs connecting them with the European ecosystem where talent, investment and learning can be easily captured. We believe Europe’s growth is going to be determined by savvy startups, and we want to support the growth of these startups.
About Maker Faire Rome
The greatest Maker Faire after the Bay Area. Maker Faire Rome is a celebration of innovation, open to all forms of applied creativity where startups and innovators are invited to participate to show their sense of creative entrepreneurship. It’s an event created to cater to curious participants of all ages, wishing to experience first-hand the makers’ inventions. Inventions that are the result of a desire to solve everyday problems, whether big or small. The watchwords of the Maker Faire Rome are: meeting, exchange, training, entertainment and interaction. At #MFR17 innovation is made available to everyone.
Why Becoming a partner of Maker Faire Rome – The EU Edition- V
It’s an event created to cater to curious participants, wishing to experience – first-hand – what’s next in every field.
Maker Faire Rome provides a platform to creatives, makers, fablab, SMEs, to display their art or projects and hold solid collaboration with renowned organizations.
Considering that visitors of Maker Faire Rome last year exceeded 100K, it is an apt event to promote any innovation & thus contributing both to our goal as an organization to foster the culture of innovation and to launch any Brand New Product.
Being the watchwords of the Maker Faire Rome: meeting, exchange, training, entertainment and interaction, building and strengthening our partners ‘s company brand through effective visibility is one of the key essentials in our business strategy.
For this reason, MFR partnership proposals are all “Taylor Made”.
To be effective, the partnership with MFR must serve the interest of four constituent groups:
1. It must serve the business interest of the sponsoring company:
- We might offer a slot for your CEO at the Opening Conference or organise a masterclass targeting your preferred audience;
2. It must serve the best interests of the event and its participants:
- We might develop a co-branded “whatever” for all the exhibitors in target; organising a thematic show case or even a game;
3. It must have a positive impact upon the sponsor’s direct consumers or prospects:
- We might run a contest tbd together
4. It must benefit the sponsoring company on innovation topics:
- We might launch a specific Challenge within “The Big Hack”, the hackathon that we run, yearly, 15 days before Maker Faire Rome.
See how to become a partner here