Enrepreneurial Skills Development Program (ESDP)
What is the Entrepreneurial Skills Development Program about?
ENRICH in the USA is launching its first Entrepreneurial Skills Development Program (ESDP) for European researchers. If you are a European researcher, the ESDP is designed to provide you with the necessary skills and technical trainings to spark your entrepreneurial mind-set and boost your research impact in the US – a country known for its “entrepreneurial culture”. Getting to know the US ecosystem will open more doors and market opportunities for you and your research.
The ESDP will take place in Philadelphia, PA, USA on 19th – 24th March 2020, in conjunction with the American Chemical Society’s (ACS) National Spring Meeting. The Program will provide a 3-day technical training and info session on crucial topics for entering the US market, before the ACS conference. Prior to the program you will be matched to highly-qualified experts from science and business – your ENRICH-mentor tailored to your specific needs.
Funded by the European Commission, this call will partially support 20 participants. If selected, you will
- Attend information-sessions and technical trainings by experienced US trainers
- Understand and access the local US-entrepreneurship ecosystem
- Meet your ENRICH Mentor
- Network throughout the Program (catering will be provided)
- Receive your ENRICH Certificate
- Participate in cultural program in the area of Philadelphia
The reduced training fee to be paid by participants is a total of 450€ only (this excludes ACS registration fee [optional]).
Wednesday evening: 18th March (Arrival), Philadelphia
- Casual first gathering (for those who have already arrived)
Thursday: 19th March (Getting Started), Philadelphia
- Getting started
- Info-Session: How to identify the commercial value of your research
- Hands-on Training: Assessment of your research and its commercial value
Friday: 20th March (Technology Transfer), Philadelphia
- Info-Session: IP Protection and Licensing in the US ecosystem
- Hands-on Training: Academic Technology Transfer Course
- Exercise: Write your own Commercialization Strategy
Saturday: 21th March (Career Development), Philadelphia
Info-Sessions: Lessons Learned from Practical Examples
- Converting research discoveries into useful products for market
- How to deal with Funding and Sponsoring
- Hands-on Training: Negotiation and Marketing
Sunday: 22nd March (ACS National Meeting), Philadelphia
- Cultural Activity and Individual Meetings
Monday: 23rd March (ACS National Meeting), Philadelphia
- Attending ACS National Meeting (final program not yet available)
- ACS-Welcome Reception in the Expo & Career Fair (incl. Hand-out of certificates)
Tuesday: 24th March
- ESDP Wrap-up and Feedback of participants
- Individual meetings and attendance at ACS
- ENRICH-session at ACS (optional, tbd)
What’s in it for you?
ESDP will provide motivated researchers with the opportunity to attend information-sessions and technical training courses on commercialization strategies, technology transfer, career development, negotiation, IP protection, patents, licensing, negotiation practices, marketing among much more.
By attending the ACS National Meeting, you will be able to connect with more than 15,000 international attendees to grow your network, explore 200+ exhibitors who will showcase their latest technological developments and attend more than 50 professional training courses and workshops to advance your career. Additionally, you will also have the chance to match-and-meet with highly engaged and experienced mentors. The mentoring program will help foster personal development through insider knowledge and best practices from senior managers (mentors).
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for early to mid-career researchers, whose research has 1) a high innovation potential and 2) the possibility of commercializing in the US. Thus, you are our ideal candidate if you are motivated to develop your entrepreneurial skills, technical knowledge and increase your research impact.
A scientific focus on chemistry is preferable, due to the back-to-back activities with ACS.
The Entrepreneurial Skills Development Program (ESDP) is proudly brought to you by ENRICH in the USA in conjunction with the American Chemical Society (ACS).
The ENRICH in the USA Consortium Partners – National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) and German Aerospace Centre (DLR) – jointly organize this service.
Click here to apply.