Bridging the gap between science and entrepreneurship (Part I)
By: ePlus Ecosystem
Nowadays people search job opportunities or candidates mainly online. However, existing website are generic and startups not only face the competition of big corporations but additionally the experience is not focused on recruitment across borders which can be an enriching experience, especially fit for growth stage startups and talented individuals. The task to find appropriate matches is then even more difficult because of the large number of items to look for and manual compatibility verification.
Among other recommendations highlighted in the Startup Manifesto, improving access to talent is seen as a pivoting issue that Startup Europe is diligently addressing. One of the talent services developed by SE via ePlus ecosystem (Date-a-researcher) is focused on innovative startups able to exploit new scientific knowledge directly from the academy through students, young researchers, and specialists. Our ePlus partners, who will overview the whole matchmaking process, have long proven expertise of working with startups and recognise what could or not be a good opportunity. Once a suitable match is flagged, each side receives recommendations, guidelines, and additional opportunities that can further support the recruitment process, such as financial support for travelling for matchmaking events, relocation, or PhD recruitment support for SMEs via other European Commission’s initiatives (e.g. Horizon 2020 SME Innovation Associate –Funding PhD recruitment in SMEs).
Yet, if this service does not immediately appeal to you, you should be also aware that Startup Europe is working with a broader scope for improving the access to talent. Ultimately, Startup Europe’s matchmaking services for talent are designed for growing a business to an international level backed by excellent technological advancements across Europe. The services provided via ePlus ecosystem include:
- Date-an-entrepreneur: matches researchers working on exploitable scientific results with entrepreneurs to help them take their research results to the market and reap maximum business potential.
- Date-a-Researcher: matches researchers with startups looking for specific academic skills or scientific knowledge.
There is still a lot that can be implemented in order to improve cross-breeding of innovation around Europe, but we do hope you make the most out of this initiative. Don’t miss out on the chance to connect with us to explore your options and a roster of resources to grow a competitive and technology-based business building on the pan-European research community and our excellent scientific research results.
Advantages and benefits of the Date-a-Researcher matchmaking process:
- Specialized recruitment for startups (new/graduated students or high qualified researchers that are seeking different/new projects to participate)*;
- High visibility to Startups which have enrolled in this process, through Startup Europe and ePlus (We are interested in identifying cross-regional case studies and that will prove to be a great promotional opportunity);
- Personalized services, including counseling and additional funding lines for the recruitment process;
- Growth oriented, the Database is international: this allows a European person/researcher who wants to come to work in a startup –be it located in Lisbon, Nice, Baden-Württemberg, or any other European region – to easily find interesting opportunities and, at the same time, enables the startup to grow in its own culture plurality, among other benefits.