#Copyright4Startups! Ask-me-Anything Workshop
Tuesday, May 9, 2017
16:00 – 18:00 hrs followed by a reception
Location: Spazio HDRA’ – Palazzo Fiano – 1st floor, Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina, 4 – 00186 Rome
Will the EU Copyright reform screw up your next funding round? Join us for a workshop on the perils of this new reform. Roma Startup and Allied for Startups will help you hack the political black box and our expert on intellectual property and information law will help you understand what’s coming. Be informed so you can understand and assess how the plans might impact your startup. Find out what you can do to change the copyright plans before it’s too late.
What’s at stake? Parts of the EU’s copyright proposal might:
● create higher liability-risk, i.e. making you liable for user content
● force startups to filter all user-generated content, i.e. you have to police your platform
● outlaw text & data mining for startups , i.e. the bigger the data, the bigger the trouble
● Create a neighbouring right for publishers at the expense of startups. i.e. publishers want your money.
Why is this relevant for you? These far-reaching reforms could affect:
● startups using snippets or links, media startups, search engines & news aggregators
● startups conducting data mining & data analytics
● e-commerce, social media or any other platform using user-generated content
What can you do? Getting you a seat at the table.
● Startups aren’t considered in the European Commission’s plans “towards a modern more European copyright
framework”. – Let’s change that!
● These far-reaching reforms might be a game-changer for your business model. Find out how to avoid that.
● Brussels is not a black box. We help you understand and hack policy making to bring an end to shady
16:00 Welcome and Introduction: Gianmarco Carnovale, Roma Startup
16:10 Framing and Introduction of #Copyright4Startups, Lenard Koschwitz
16:20 Deep-dive: Dr. Eleonora Rosati
16:50 Ask-me-anything discussion with entrepreneurs, investors and startup representatives
17:20 Making the case & getting traction in public policy: How can copyright accelerate Italian startups.
“A neighbouring right for news publishers translates directly into financial burden for startups” – Patrick
Bunk CEO Ubermetrics-Technologies, Berlin.
“ The copyright proposals will create an online economy which excludes small and medium media
startups. It´s a proposal which harms the online economy” – Daniel Seijo CEO Meneame, Spain
Sign up via email (), or via the eventbrite (https://www.eventbrite.it/e/biglietti-protecting-ip-while-allowing-startups-in-europe-to-flourish-34106765253)